Mittwoch, 16. März 2016

St. Patricks Day

If you are planning to stay in London for St. Patricks Day, you should be prepared for a lot of people.
Though, only a few are actually dressed up apart from a bit of green make-up smears on their faces. I actually saw a few with green wigs, green dyed beards and hair and more unusual clothes.

And lets be honest, a lot of people see this holiday as an opportunity to get shitfaced. So if you have a problem with any of these you should find another activity.

Anyway, the first thing we saw after getting dinner was the parade at Picadilly Circus with several trucks including dance groups, bands, a marching band playing "Uptown Funk" and even a football team. In between smaller groups of Irish people and kids walked along, waving at the people behind the barriers. We came just in time to see a gigantic thing drive along, to this day I have no idea what it even is. Looked cool, though!



To my surprise, Picadilly Circus was still fairly empty at this point. Maybe because it was rather early or most of the visitors were standing somewhere else along the way. So we made our to Trafalgar Square where we finally found more people. At this point we were actually concerned that we were the only ones dressing up at least a bit. I mean, we actually painted our lips green with eyeliner, that's commitment right there!


Trafalgar Square had a gigantic stage. In the time I was there, which wasn't for very long to be honest, several bands performed a few songs each, mostly traditional Irish or at least with an Irish touch to it. The crowd was nice and there was still space to move around and breath, though I don't know how it got once it was late. To catch our breaths we took a break and went to Waterstones for a bit. Books are just relaxing, especially after standing in a already slightly drunk group of strangers. That's also the reason why I split up after and went to a comic book store instead of joining the others.

So no, sadly I can't say a lot about St. Patricks Day or spill some secret stories or tips. I don't like hugh crowds, even during concerts I can barely tolerate them. It's the feeling of being restricted and the difficulty to breath that I just can't stand. Not to forget that I wasn't feeling very social that day.
But, as always, I'm happy to have tried it. It was quite an experience after all, and I had a reason to wear my little green hat I got in Dublin in February. And the glances you get when you step into the tub with green lips was definitely worth it, too.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen