Samstag, 24. Oktober 2015

Theatre

Trying to get tickets for Hamlet in the Barbican Centre is like climbing an active volcano; everyone thinks it's cool, only a few do it and it may result in death.

Therefore, I decided to turn up as early as possible without camping outside. Difficulties getting there included my alarm being set but only from Monday to Friday, me leaving the bus a stop too early and being tired of course. At least I got one more hour of sleep than planned, which means waking up at 3:30am. I actually got there at 5am. Waiting outside wasn't really bad as it cold but not freezing. I also had breakfast from McDonalds and a lukewarm cup of coffee to keep me awake and going. The girl that came after me actually offered me one of her newspapers to sit on and after a while we started talking about ourselves as well as the differences between Germany and Singapore.

When they let us in into the warmth I tried to take a nap, but as usual it was hopeless. Instead I allowed myself a hot chocolate, of course exactly at the moment when they started to get up and moving.
This was possible one of the worst moments so far. Not knowing if you get a ticket, let along two. Not knowing how many the others in front of you want. There were about forty-ish people and most of them only got one apparently, but you never know for sure.
When I got called to the desk it felt like the weight of the world got lifted off my shoulders. I wasn't the last one. Two tickets, ten pound each, for Shakespeare's Hamlet at 1:30pm. I was finally going to see my first Shakespeare play, and I was going to see Benedict Cumberbatch live.

After a bit of trouble meeting up with my friend we headed to the Museum of London for a really rushed tour. It was still nice, especially because it is a really interactive museum that also shows the culture from the 20th century, a period of time often left out or not shown a lot about.




Speedwalking back to the Barbican Centre to find our seats, B47 and B48 on the highest level, we didn't have time to sit down and eat calmly, but what were we suppost to do.
The play itself was breathtaking. The stageart and scenery was impressive and a mix of old and new just like the costumes. A mix of Nike shoes, band T-Shirts and official uniforms showed exactly who belonged on which side of the conflict. The actors themselves were realistic and obviously deep in character, though I'm no expert on this matter. The change from the first to the second part was so significant, you can only admire everyone who works behind the scenes and has to do this twice every day. Benedict Cumberbatch himself have a little speech about the refugee crisis after their bows which deserves our respect - not everyone would use their fame for such a matter, at least not at the end of a stage play.

Of course we waited outside the stage door after the performance, but as a member of staff told us Benedict himself wouldn't come out as he needed to rest. a lot of people left after this, but we waited for about twenty minutes for some of the other actors who would gladly sign our tickets.

Our plan was to go south to St. Paul's Cathedral after that, but we walked straight past the street we intended on using and instead made a little detour. Not that we complained about it, because on our way we saw a little wedding party leaving a church. Wanting to see the bride and the dresses of the guests we slowed down to a halt and watched when suddenly, a person caught my eye that looked fairly familiar.
Tom Hiddleston.
Tom Hiddleston, sporting an elegant suit, glasses and blonde short hair left the building. At first I couldn't believe it, I mean what are the chances?! But it was obviously him.
After a bit of awkward standing and sneeking obvious glances, obvious because he looked over several times, he made it clear with a headshake he wouldn't take pictures. Ready to walk away I was surprised when he came over really quickly to shake our hands, tell us that he wouldn't take pictures as it is a private wedding and that he was sorry. Which is understandable, so we assured him hastily that it is ok, said goodbye and turned around to go our way. he actually wished us a good day in the end. Now this sounds really nice and normal, but I'm pretty sure I looked like a crazy fangirl that stalked him or something. But well, at least I got a handshake and a little talk out of embarassing myself. It's not like he's gonna remember me.

Still a bit shaken (at least me, my friend didn't even know him!) we finally found St. Paul's and went inside. Little tip: go during a mess to get in for free. It looks amazing, you get to see the priest and hear the choir.
To get us warmed up we got a drink at Starbucks and then went down to the Thames to make a few night pictures. I'm still getting used to my camera, but I think the modus "night without tripod" makes the cloudy nightsky look really cool.








And again, that was about it. by now I wouldn't even be surprised if we ran into the Queen at Tesco considering everything that happened the last few days. And maybe I will learn to hold a conversation at some point!

(24. October 2015)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen